Questions about updating...

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Wed Dec 3 16:01:29 PST 2003

On Wednesday 03 December 2003 17:39,
"rotten rottie" <r0tt13 at hotmail.com> sent a missive stating:

> 1) if there are two trees(lack of better words) why would ssh exist in
> both
> the system tree and the ports tree ? Wouldnt it be better to have it in
> the
> ports tree ?

Ports are not installed by "default" and SSH is somewhat necessary to a system
these days so it's in the base system or so my opinion lies. As for it being
duplicated in the ports system..some people need to run different versions,
etc... so that's why they're there.

> 2) I have used gentoo in the past and am curious if there is something
> simular to emerge -up world/system -- I would like to cvs the ports/sys
> and
> then be able to see if anything need upgrading .. is this possible ?

Yes, CVS your src tree (/usr/src) and them run the make world, etc.. stuff.
See the handbook for details:
	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

is a good place to start.

> 3) Say there was a update to openssh .. which would be the proper way to
>
> update .. sync the sys tree and then just update ssh .. or sync the tree
> and
> recompile the system ? or remove the sys version and install the port
> version and update the port ?

The "proper" way, I don't know. You can syn the source tree and rebuild or
just patch your current source tree. Either way should work. Yes, you can
just upgrade the port as well if you're already running a ports version.

> I am very happy with freebsd .. Im still in the exploring stage .. The
> reasons for my questions is that I am a little weary of using freebsd in
> production if I dont easily know when updates are avail, having to
> recompile
> the system everytime I need a patch for a service.

Keep on top of freebsd-security and freebsd-security-advisories lists and you
will be aware of all kernel type security holes and other vulns. Keep an eye
on other mailing lists to see holes for more userland apps, etc... Gentoo
does it pretty slick with their emerge sync; emerge -u world  ..but sometimes
it updates stuff you don't really need or want to upgrade at the moment.

Probably missed a few things :)

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson
listsNO at SPAMrhavenn.net

"`If there's anything more important than my ego
around, I want it caught and shot now.'"
	--Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy