"Cannot find file system superblock" error - how to recover?

Scott I. Remick scott at sremick.net
Wed Dec 3 00:06:13 PST 2003

Running 5.1-REL on a system w/ 2 drives. Was saving a file to 2nd drive
(mounts as /data) and system suddenly froze then rebooted. Never good. Fsck
barfed on startup telling me I had to run it manually. The error I'm stuck
with is:

/dev/ad6s1c
Cannot find file system superblock
/dev/ad6s1c: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM

Searching on this error hasn't been very productive. Some people talk about
a "LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS?" question that I'm not getting when I run
fsck. There's also mention of an undocumented -b option to fsck for fixing
this. Then there's some scary manual method using dd:

dd if=/dev/ad6s1c skip=32 of=/dev/ad6s1c seek=16 bs=512 count=16

But before I do that I definitely want confirmation. Please tell me there's
hope for this drive...this Windows PC makes me feel dirty.  Thanks in
advance. :)

=====
Scott I. Remick   --==--   ICQ: 450152
Save the internet - Use a Mozilla-based browser: http://vtbsd.net/mozilla/
FreeBSD: Because making unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows. http://vtbsd.net/freebsd/
"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?