Netscape won't start. Bad magic libXt.so.6

Ken Seggerman suleyman at panix.com
Tue Dec 2 15:26:46 PST 2003

Greetings:

I have FreeBSD 4.3 Stable running on an old laptop. I pretty much have
everything working they way I want it. I did have Netscape working at one
point. Seems to be Netscape Communicator 4.74-US. Now I use Mozilla
(5.0.8.1), which works just fine.

Netscape does not start up. I try from the pull-down menu of my window
manager (FVWM2) and nothing happens. Trying to start Netscape from the
command line of of an Xterm:

$/usr/local/bin/netscape

results in the following error message:

/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6:
minor version -1 older than expected 0, using it anyway
ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6"

I seem to have a couple of extras libXt.so.6 files buried deep in
/usr/compat/linux/usr, but I don't know if swapping one of them would be
a good idea. I don't know how to determine their minor version numbers
or the quality of their magic numbers.

Both Netscape and Mozilla are packages installed from the FreeBSD 4.3
CDROM.

Could I just try pkd_delete on Netscape and reinstall it with pkg_add?

I don't want to risk breaking Mozilla trying to fix Netscape.

I am not subscribed to this mailing list. Any suggestions via email would
be welcome.

Ken