FreeBSD DRIVER DEVELOPMENT

kitsune kitsune at gmx.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 13:02:31 PST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:04:16 -0000
"Admin" <admin at sycos.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I have requirement to develop driver for the PCI based hardware interface
> using FreeBSD Unix system. Would you please advise on the following:-
>
> 1)    What tools are available to develop driver for x86 machine using C?

FreeBSD 4stable uses GCC 2.94.4 There are lots of good IDEs and tools in the
ports trees...

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

> 2)    Suitable package including the operating system, tools and books etc?

Checking out the documentation on freebsd.org would probally be a good start.

> 3)    Can the driver developed for other unix operating system e.g. VxWorks
> can be imported into the FreeBSD and compiled without major code change?

AFAIK this is something that is not really possible on any operating system.
This is becuase changes to what header files and need to be made and ect. As to
the extent of what changes are required, I guess that varies from what it is and
whatever... but I never messed with this befor so I have no clue...