Is non-breaking space a space?

Jean-Baptiste Quenot jb.quenot at caraldi.com
Tue Dec 2 00:18:25 PST 2003

* Erik Trulsson:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:31:07AM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
> > In /usr/src/share/mklocale, the file la_LN.ISO8859-1.src for example
> > contains a  SPACE definition  that includes the  non-breaking space.
> > It seems that it is so since  the beginning of FreeBSD, but is there
> > some reference, some standard that states whether NBSP is considered
> > a space or not?
>
> If    you    look    at    the    locale    definitions    found    at
> http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG15 it  would seem that NBSP  should be
> considered  as  a space  character,  but  there  might be  some  other
> standard somewhere else that says differently.

That's  also   my  opinion.   Let's   explain  the  whole   story:   I'm
reformatting my  email messages with  textproc/par, and I  noticed since
I'm using FreeBSD  that all non-breaking spaces are  converted to spaces
during filtering,  just because isspace(160)  is true.  Of course,  if I
put non-breaking  spaces in my text,  I'm not expecting the  lines to be
broken on them, and I don't want  them to be filtered out, because nbsps
make sense when used appropriately.

After a while,  I discovered that the issue is  related to locales.  And
IMHO it  makes sense  not to consider  nbsp as a  space.  Where  shall I
report the problem?

Cheers,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot