Network Card

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 13:14:37 PST 2003

On Dec 1, 2003, at 3:44 PM, Jeff wrote:
> I hope this is the place I can ask a question.

Indeed; welcome.

[ ...description of net install using a FA311 NIC... ]
> Upon further inspection, after installation and re-boot, I noticed
> that this card was also getting and error.  The following three lines
> are what I get:
>
> sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> at device 13.0 on pci0
> sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
> device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6

One of my machines has that model of NIC and it works fine, so you
should be able to get it working under FreeBSD.  You didn't mention
which version of FreeBSD you are trying to install/use, or provide much
of a description of the rest of your hardware.

Start by going through your BIOS; make sure "Plug-and-play OS" is set
to "NO"; disable the serial and parallel ports if you aren't using
them, and turn off anything else (onboard sound?) that you won't need.
It sounds like either the BIOS isn't configuring the card or you are
out of resources (like IRQs).

--
-Chuck