Mozila Thunderbird and local mail

Jonas Manalive manalive at gmx.net
Mon Dec 1 09:57:28 PST 2003

> > Is it possible to use Mozilla Thunderbird email client to receive
> > from your local /var/mail/username like kmail/evolution/sylpheed
> > can? Or does one have to use procmail to deliver them into
> > thunderbird's directory?
>
> I don't think Thunderbird-0.3 has support for movemail accounts, but
> the next release should.  I've looked at Mozilla 1.6a, and it does
> have movemail support.

That was the word I was looking for. After searching google, it seems
that Thunderbird does have it, although not accessible from gui setup.
Here's the website (with warnings!): http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/
movemail/

Instructions:

------------------------

Since there is no UI to set up a new movemail account, you have to
either:

1) set it up internal movemail in 4.x and migrate that profile to
mozilla

or

2a) in mozilla create a pop account
2b) exit, edit prefs.js and change the server type from "pop3" to
"movemail.

Example, change

user_pref("mail.server.server6.type", "pop3");
user_pref("mail.server.server6.type", "movemail");

2c) start back up.

----------------------------------

I changed and loaded up my thunderbird again. Unfortunately another
error popped up:

-----------------------------------

Unable to create lock file /var/mail/navigator.lock. For movemail to
work, it is necessary to create lock files in the mail spool directory.
On many systems, this is best accomplished by making the spool
directory be mode 01777.

Now I am searching for more information on this to try on my freebsd/
postfix setup. If anyone knows what this means and what I need to do,
please do let me know.

Best regards,

Jonas