The VI editor

Joshua Oreman oremanj at get-linux.org
Fri Aug 29 21:44:31 PDT 2003

[Please break your lines at a manageable length -- 72 is good]

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 04:30:10AM +0200 or thereabouts, mats wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have trouble using vi and vim under freebsd, under linux red hat
> it was working perfect. The trouble is that the arrow-keys doesn't
> work when I'm in insert mode. I have heard that it's important to
> use the right terminalprogram. In vim it's ok with the fancy swedish
> letters with dots over, but the arrow-keys doesn't work.

FreeBSD comes with the standard vi, not vim. (unless you install the vim port)

So the arrow keys work in command mode, but not in insert mode?
"That's a feature, not a bug."(TM)

If the arrow keys didn't work at all, then I would say check $TERM. But as it
is, it's probably a design decision in FBSD vi more than anything. Try the
vim port, if you haven't already.

-- Josh