can't login as anyone - not even as root!

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Aug 29 06:56:03 PDT 2003

> Thanks, Sunil for the steps, but I have tried that already.
>
> When I get to the # prompt in single user mode, I cannot use
> the passwd command. I get the error;;
>
> passwd: error opening database: /etc/pwd.db: Permission denied
> passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

Sort of sounds like you didn't remount root.
When you come up in single user, root is mounted without write permission.
You need to remount it.    mount -u /   will do it although
supposedly doing a mount -a will effectively include that step as well.
Still, we always do the extra step, maybe for old times.

////jerry