Question on CVS Branches

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at ant.uni-bremen.de
Fri Aug 29 02:40:18 PDT 2003

Simon Barner wrote:
>>Is RELENG_4 to be considered stable? I.e. can i use it for production?
>

> Well, that depends. At the moment, -stable has (or had) some stability problems
> since some enhancements for huge memory systems (> 4gb) where merged
> from -current).
>
> I think the best for production system is the latest security branch,
> i.e. RELENG_4_8 which is the latest release (4.8-RELEASE) + all the
> security fixes that have been released so far. -stable aka. RELENG_4
> contains those fixes + other bug fixes + feature enhancements, that
> might cause problems once in a while.
>

>>Also i am still a bit unsure, what CURRENT, RELEASE and STABLE mean.
>>From other OS's, i know that "Release" means "for production use".
>>But 5.x-RELEASE is said to be not for production.
>

> The FreeBSD 5.x releases were made in order to provide a solid test
> basis for the very latest branch of FreeBSD. Although it runs very
> stable for a lot of people, more conservative users that do not need any
> of the new features in FreeBSD 5.x are recommended stay with FreeBSD 4.x
> at the present.
>
> Regards,
>  Simon

Thank you. Yet another question: I would like to update my source tree
automatically each night. However the cvs login requires a password to be typed
in. Is there any way to automate this? Strangely, the cvs man page does not even
mention the login command.
I know that cvsup would be an alternative, i'm just used to using cvs from
OpenBSD (where no login is required).

Greetings,
	Heinrich