monitoring

Matthew Graybosch matthew at starbreaker.net
Thu Aug 28 20:04:28 PDT 2003

On 04:38 Fri 29 Aug     , ZaiD Dashti wrote:
> Dear experts
>
> how i can monitor my machine ?
> which programs should i use ?

I use top to keep track of active processes and to figure out which process
decided to be naughty and hog the CPU. You can run it at the console or in
a xterm. gkrellm2 (/usr/ports/sysutils/gkrellm2) is a nice system monitor
that lets you track CPU, processes, disk usage, network usage, and lots of
other stuff while running X. There's also the ps utility, which you can use
for a list of processes. I'm sure there's more, but those are what I use.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net