dmesg output

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Thu Aug 28 17:58:09 PDT 2003

=?Windows-1252?Q?Marco_Gon=E7alves?= <marco.goncalves at aces.pt> writes:

> Email TemplateHow can i delete the 'dmesg -a' last output buffer

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly (you want to clear the system
message buffer?)  you shouldn't be able to do that while the system is
running.  It's a security precaution.  Maybe if you explained why you
wanted to do it, we'd be able to help.

> /var/run/dmesg.boot - but it just shows the hardware boot

It shows the contents of the system message buffer immediately after
the kernel boots.

> /var/log/dmesg.today - seems like a copy of /var/run/dmesg.boot

It should be the contents of the system message buffer at the time of
the daily periodic(8) run.

> /var/log/dmesg.eyesterday - seems to me like the dmesg -a output before last reboot...

It should be the previous day's dmesg.today file.