having problems with getting two interfaces running on FreeBSD 5.1

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Wed Aug 27 14:45:32 PDT 2003

Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte at yahoo.com> writes:

> hmmm... you're the second person to tell me this that i need the
> interfaces to be on separate subnets.

They don't *need* to be, but there's rarely a reason to do otherwise.

> my prime purpose is to have this device act as my PDC and a proxy server.
> i want all proxy request to go into one interface and have the other fetch
> everything.

Why do you want them on different interfaces anyway?

> is there anyway to keep them on the same subnet?  i have a router that
> handles the routing, so i really don't need anything else to do routing.
> i simply want all web requests to go through this server, and have it
> cache web sites and to provide some sort of protection.

If I recall correctly, I think squid can act as a transparent proxy.
You might be able to do that in a bridging mode, even.
However, it's probably easier to just configure the various machines
to use the proxy (and enforce it with firewalling, if necessary).