IBM Emulation

Micheal Patterson micheal at cancercare.net
Tue Aug 26 17:20:30 PDT 2003

Currently, we use ProComm for Win95 and 2k with a VT100 emulation in
conjunction with a vendor provided keyboard and translation file that they
won't part with. I've also tested TinyTerm and it utilizes when in IBM3151
emulation mode, it provides the same translations  as ProComm and it's
combined translation file. After speaking with a few of the field techs, I
was told that anything that can provide an IBM3151 terminal emulation will
work properly.  On my aix system, under /src/misc/terminfo there is an entry
named ibm3151.ti. Under my FreeBSD 4.8 system, within
"/usr/compat/linux/usr/share/terminfo" I have a terminal file for the
ibm3151 and within /usr/compat/linux/etc/termcap there is an entry for
ibm3151 but I'm uncertain how to utilize that within the FreeBSD
environment.  I've tried importing the ibm3151 termcap entry into my FBSD
termcap and rehashing the termcap database but it garbles once I get into
the ibm environment. I'm wondering if I may actually need to get some sort
of terminal emulator for BSD instead of a straight telnet session.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration