Cyrus IMAP with pam_mysql?

Tue Aug 26 05:49:26 PDT 2003

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get the Cyrus imapd to authenticate with pam_mysql
-authentication?

In /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf I have:
allowanonymouslogin: no
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN

...among other things.

I am running saslauthd with pam authentication:
silakka# ps xa |grep saslauthd
  258  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd1 -a pam

This is what I have in my /etc/pam.conf:

# Mail services
imap    auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=uBerSecRETPASS
host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

imap    account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=uBerSecRETPASS
host=localhost db=mail table=accountuser usercolumn=username
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

The problem, I think, is the service column. The authentication is done
via PAM since when I change the password for my shell account the mail
password is changed too. But saslauthd uses some other service to
authenticate, not imap and thus not pam_mysql. Why doesn't it reconize the
above lines for Cyrus?

I am running FreeBSD 4.8R

This is giving me serious headache :) Thanks in advance for any clues!!

Regards,

Johan Paul