IPFW & ICMP

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 20:17:18 PDT 2003

Technical Director wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Technical Director wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>

>>ipfw -a l [INSERT_YOUR_FW_RULE_FOR_ICMP_BLOCKING]
>

> INSERT_YOUR_FW_RULE_FOR_ICMP_BLOCK is the rule ID Number. #### below is it
> as well... :)
>

>>##### 0 2300 deny icmp from any to me via ed0
>

> Just to clarify.
>
> R.

Thanks for the response.

Yep, that's the rule and it does have counters.

In your previous e-mail you were asking about the order of packet
processing and that's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I figure
that the firewall should block the traffic first so as to prevent ruled
traffic from coming in and then, in my thinking, snort shouldn't see it.

Hopefully somebody might have an explanation with the why's and how
comes one way or the other.