Formatting a floppy - Help required.

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Mon Aug 25 06:55:43 PDT 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 12:49 am, Technical Director wrote:
> If I were you I would try a new floppy and see if you can format
> then. You as well might look into the /etc/disktab file close to the
> top for other instructions on how to format a floppy.

I too am having problems with formatting floppies in 5.1. Went thru a
handful of floppies I regularly use and none worked. I don't have
anything but FreeBSD on this machine for a 2nd opinion on the condition
of its hardware but the same floppies formatted without error and seem
to work in another machine with NT4.

On return from NT4 I was unable to write files without 100% low level
errors to the floppies with mcopy but was able to read what the NT4
machine wrote.

The last time this sort of thing happend I found an oddball BIOS setting
put an end to the problem in FreeBSD where NT4 had no problems. Have
not had that problem with this MB and RELENG_4.

David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at hiwaay.net