make depend

Desmond Lee desmond.lee at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 23 16:49:59 PDT 2003

Hello

I'm trying to upgrade from freebsd 4.4 to 4.8. I just finished doing the
'make -j 4 buildworld' command and am now going to compile the kernel as
part of the process to upgrade.  The next thing I do is a 'make
buildkernel  KERNCONF=MYKERN' and then I want to do a 'make
installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN' after. However, when I do the 'make
buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN' it gives me a message at the beginning
saying: "Don't forget to do a 'make depend'.

I am wondering, should I just go ahead and do the 'make installkernel
KERNCONF=MYKERN' command without doing any make depend?
Or do I have to:
1. first go into my /usr/src/sys/i386/conf directory and do a 'config
MYKERN'
2. then cd into the directory return by 'config MYKERN' and execute a
'make depend'
3. execute  a 'make' and 'make install'
4. then go on to do the 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN' command

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Desmond