FreeBSD 4.8 install issues

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Aug 23 06:29:44 PDT 2003

Clay Jones wrote:
[ ... ]
> 1)  There are only 6 network adapters listed in the kernel config
> screen, and the Realtec is not one of them.  Realtec cards are
> supposedly supported according to the hardware compatibility list.

They are.  The initial kernel config screen is for ISA and non-PNP devices which
might cause hardware conflicts (it lets you disable devices).

Newer PCI cards aren't shown therem but I bet if you do a "dmesg | less", you'll
find that your NIC is recognized fine.  Or try doing a "dhclient" and see
whether you can get a DHCP lease.

> 2)  Towards the end of the installation, I get the following error:
> "unable to get packages/INDEX"

Hmm.  Bad CD?  Anyway, if you've got enough of an install to have a working
system, you can always "make world" to be sure that nothing is missing.

--
-Chuck