screen size is too large after freebsd install
missive at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 18:41:38 PDT 2003
>I have spent over 2 days trying to install this software but no matter
>what I do the desktop size always ends up being too big.
>If I click on alt + ctrl + - or + nothing happens. Tryed altering the
>xf86config file it won't let me.
Are you editing the file as root?
>Why is this so hard seriously its a pain.
Getting X set up right can be frustrating.
Here's what I usually do.
1) log in as root
2) XFree86 -configure
3) ee XF86Config.new
4) look in that file for the mouse section
- replace /dev/sysmouse with /dev/psm0
- if you have a wheel mouse, add the line
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
5) look for the screen section
- add the line
before the parts that say
Subsection ... EndSubSection
- in whichever section you choose (16 or 24)
add a line
underneat the line that says
Depth 24 (or 16)
6) save the file (by pressing ESC-ENTER-ENTER)
7) move the file in to position with
cp XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config
There is also a good page about this in the handbook:
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*
More information about the freebsd-questions