IP Problems

Ben Dover nuckingfutsto at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 05:21:34 PDT 2003

Does anyone know what this command, route delete default, did?  After using
it the box reboots but will not go online so I can log in remotely as this
is not an on premise box.  I need to tell the tech's what I need done in
order to repair it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

>From: Nils Vogels <nivo+freebsd-questions at yuckfou.org>
>To: freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: IP Problems
>Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:20:12 +0200
>
>On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 07:00:32PM -0400, Ben Dover (BD) wrote:
>BD>   OK, this is difficult to explain and my problem is probably bigger
>than
>BD> what I have found but here goes.  I have a dedicated 5.1 FreeBSD box
>and
>BD> when I did a dmesg I received a repeating message as follows:
>BD> arplookup 66.246.xx.1 failed: host is not on local network
>
>I've had the same message multiple times when my default route would be
>equal
>to the IP number of an interface of the box on a 4.8-REL box.
>
>For instance:
>
>Interface xl0 has IP address 192.168.2.2/24 configured on it locally
>Interface rl0 has IP address 10.0.5.1/24 configured on it locally
>
>The default route of the box is set to 192.168.2.2
>
>This would cause a loop displaying the exact error message on the console,
>and
>the box would become dead slow.
>
>This for me was solved by simply typing:
>
>route delete default
>
>HTH & HAND
>
>--
>Simple guidelines to happiness:
>Work like you don't need the money,
>love like your heart has never been broken and
>dance like no one can see you.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POSTING

   OK, this is difficult to explain and my problem is probably bigger than
what I have found but here goes.  I have a dedicated 5.1 FreeBSD box and
when I did a dmesg I received a repeating message as follows:
arplookup 66.246.xx.1 failed: host is not on local network
  This peaked my curiosity so I pinged the bank of IP's I have in the range
of that IP and I was able to ping them with a response.
  Something quick I can do to test to see if the IP will bind is compile an
IRC bouncer.  I found the bouncer would not bind to the IP 66.246.xx.185 as
a normal account user and the bouncer would not function.  If I SU to root
and start the bouncer the IP would bind and the bouncer would function
correctly.  It should be noted that the bouncer was compiled as the normal
account user.
  I have two different sets of IP's on my box and I have added them in the
rc.conf in the following way:
ifconfig_sis0_alias10="inet 209.123.xx.200 netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_sis0_alias11="inet 66.246.xx.185 netmask 255.255.255.255"
  Do I have the IP's added wrong in rc.conf?  What am I doing wrong? Why do
I receive the dmesg which appears to be an error?  Any assistance would be
appreciated.