mod_perl 1.28 with apache 1.3.28 questions

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Thu Aug 21 23:37:46 PDT 2003

I have been trying to get mod_perl and apache to play nicely
together and they refuse. I have a couple of problems.

1. I can't build and install mod_perl 1.28. I get and Error 1 when
make checks to see if any version is installed. I can then go into
work/mod_perl-1.28 and make install, but something else seems to
be wrong. I never get it to work with apache if I do that.

[/usr/ports/www/mod_perl]# make install
===>  Installing for mod_perl-1.28
===>   mod_perl-1.28 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/apxs - found
===>   mod_perl-1.28 depends on file:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/LWP.pm - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if www/mod_perl already installed
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/mod_perl.

[/usr/ports/www/mod_perl]# pkg_info | grep mod_perl
mod_perl-1.28       Embeds a Perl interpreter in the Apache server

I get the same error, whether or not it's installed.

2. I can install from the packaged version but it is built against
perl 5.005 as best I can tell (I enable perl-status and check in a
browser: Embedded Perl version 5.00503 for Apache/1.3.28 (Unix)
mod_perl/1.28 DAV/1.0.3 process 12540 ) I'm running 5.8 and I'm
not sure that's the best way to proceed.

So ideally, I'd like to install from source through the ports
system. As a side note, I have been through my ports/packages
database with pkgdb: all seems to be clean, after after a few
mismatches were cleaned up. I have also tried portinstall and
port_upgrade: no joy there, either.

Any help?

--
Paul Beard