strange reboots

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Aug 21 23:20:43 PDT 2003

On Thursday 21 August 2003 11:11 pm, zhuravlev alexander wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 10:47:15PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 August 2003 10:36 pm, zhuravlev alexander wrote:
> > > 	[ please CC me, because I am not a list subscriber ]
> > >
> > > 	Hi!
> > >
> > > 	We encounter with strange casual reboots of our server.
> > > 	Does anyone know any tactics of investigation why
> > > 	this happens.
> > >
> > > 	[ns:/u/zaa]>uname -rs
> > > 	FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
> >
> > For starters, make sure you have all of the security holes fixed.
> > There is a list of advisories on the bottom right side of
> > http://www.freebsd.org/
>
> 	System are up to date
> 	[ns:/u/zaa]>uname -v
> 	FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Sat Aug 16 14:42:35 MSD 2003
> 	root at ulstu.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NS
>
> > If you are up todate, then it is a function of noticing what is
> > going on when it reboots. You usually have a clue but seeing it can
> > be a problem.
>
> 	I suppose, reboot can cause incorrect work of ftp server. (we use
> 	standart out of the box ftpd).
> 	Maybe we should switch to another ftp server.
> 	Any recommendations which server should we choose?

One thing is to make sure you have a good boot. You don't want the
message about "/ was not properly dismounted" to be present.

I don't have any other ideas. What I have seen on here are mostly things
that were hardware. Cron would startup a job and the hardware would
heat up or something and cause the system to panic.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA