Copying an entire tree

Pat Lashley patl+freebsd at volant.org
Thu Aug 21 14:24:33 PDT 2003

--On Thursday, August 21, 2003 22:19:28 +0200 Nico Meijer
<nico.meijer at zonnet.nl> wrote:

>> Is there any simple clean way to copy an entire directory tree and
>> preserve both the flags (like schg) AND hard links within the tree?
>> (And, of course, preserve device special nodes, etc.)
>
> Have you looked at rsync?

No, I hadn't thought of using rsync for a purely local copy.  But now
that I've tried it, add it to the list of utilities that lose the flags.
(I'm particularly interested in preserving the schg and nodump flags.)

So far, the only thing I know of that seems to do everything right
is cvsup.  But it's really a bit cumbersome to set up for a one-time
copy.

-Pat

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
				-- Abraham Lincoln