HELP! Sendmail 8.12.9 problems up the wazzoo on FreeBSD 4.3....

Danny Horne danny at clifftop.net
Thu Aug 21 11:47:33 PDT 2003

Steve Camp was once thought to have said:

> Hi,
>
> I am sending / posting this message to
>
> 	FreeBSD questions mailing list
> 	comp.mail.sendmail newsgroup
> 	sendmail mailing list
> 	possibly other comp.unix.bsd.* newsgroups
>
> I am quite stumped.  Any and all help is welcomed.  I will be working on this
> problem all day.  Please feel free to contact me directly at 'steve at camp.com'
> if you'd like to help me figure this puzzle out.

Did you create the smmsp user / group as part of the upgrade?  Required from
8.12.0 -

8.12.0/8.12.0   2001/09/08
        *NOTICE*: The default installation of sendmail does not use
                set-user-ID root anymore.  You need to create a new user and
                a new group before installing sendmail (both called smmsp by
                default).  The installation process tries to install
                /etc/mail/submit.cf and creates /var/spool/clientmqueue by
                default.  Please see sendmail/SECURITY for details.

--
To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
To be is to do  -- Sartre