Cvsup script question

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Thu Aug 21 05:42:15 PDT 2003

Hi,
I'm cvsup'ing from a script in /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily.
Here 'tis:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
Echo
Echo "Output of cvsup:"
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile
Echo
Echo "Output of portsdb:"
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu
Echo
Echo "Output of portversion:"
/usr/local/sbin/portversion

It works, but (1) produces a ton of output, (2) I'm seeing a lot of
lines in the output of portsdb that say, "(some port) non-existent,
dependency list incomplete".

Are those lines in the output of portsdb coming from STDOUT or STDERR,
or are they completely normal?

How about we alter the script as follows to keep the output down a
little?

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 0 /etc/cvsupfile # Keep quiet except for
errors
/usr/local/sbin/portsdb -Uu > /dev/null     # Hopefully, show only
errors
Echo
Echo "Updated ports:"
/usr/local/sbin/portversion | grep "<"      # Show only changed ports

Will these changes break anything?

Thanks,
Charles