Crontab error mails

Thu Aug 21 00:00:00 PDT 2003

Hi!

> That is the format for the system crontab.  /etc/crontab
>
> root has its own crontab entry (under /root).
>
> user crontabs have a different format then the system crontab.
>
> Remove the root from that line, and it should work.

I was just wondering because the default installation of crontab has the
following comment line in /etc/crontab:

#
#minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
#

...and the entries that I found there had 'root' under the 'who' column. I
haven't edited the crontab-file before yesterday when I added my two
lines.

But having said this I removed 'root' under the 'who' column and now it
seems to work nicely again. Why is there the 'who' column in the system
default crontab or what crontab file did crontab read before I ran
'crontab /etc/crontab' since the format of that crontab file seems to be
incorrect?

Thanks!

--
Johan Paul