NIS stealing low-numbered ports?

Eric van Gyzen vangyzen at stat.duke.edu
Wed Aug 20 13:08:40 PDT 2003

Aaron,

I am having similar trouble with 5.1.  For me, rpc.lockd is eating up
all my low (privileged) udp ports.  You can tell the system to use a
different range for low ports.  Use the sysctl command and tweak the
net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast variable.  By default, it sets the
lower bound for privileged ports to 600.  You might increase it past
631 to ensure that no process snatches it up.  Of course, you would
have fewer privileged ports, which might create problems on a busy
machine running NIS (which is the situtation that brought this
problem to my attention).

Cheers,
Eric

--
Eric van Gyzen                        Sr. Systems Programmer
http://www.stat.duke.edu/~vangyzen/   ISDS, Duke University