Command not found

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Aug 19 06:03:30 PDT 2003

Marc B. Blake wrote:
> I'm trying to run the htpasswd utility with Apache and I'm getting an
> error: Command not found.
>
> I'm new to UNIX and not sure what I can do to resolve this.

I'm directing followups to questions at freebsd.org, as that's the correct
place for a questions like this.

htpasswd is part of the Apache webserver.  Have you installed Apache?
If you've _just_ installed Apache, many shells do not immediately
recognize new programs after installation.  The default BSD shell is
one of these.  To get around the problem, either logout/log back in
or issue the "rehash" command to tell the shell to refresh it's
list of installed programs.  If you aren't sure if you have Apache
installed, issue "pkg_info | grep apache" and see if it's listed.
If Apache isn't installed, read the ports/packages section of the
handbook for help:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

Hope this helps.

--