Accepting new commiters

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Mon Aug 18 13:49:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

> I am writing a master thesis about open source development processes and
> one of my analysis objects are processes of the FreeBSD project. The
> FreeBSD documentation (handbook, articles) is a great source of
> information, but there are some points missing in the documentation I
> consider important.
>
> I would like know more on the following items:
>
> 1. Who makes the decision, who is authorized and who is responsible for
> accepting (adding) new commiters?

I don't know exactly how the decision about new committers is made, but
here is the anwser for the other parts of your questions.

http://www.freebsd.org/internal/new-account.html

I am sure some of the new committers will be glad to tell you how the
became one:

http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html#2003August15:0

I can it works that way: you write lots of usefull patches and send them
to the lists or to the PR database, until somebody who is already a
FreeBSD committer suggests you to become one.

> 2. Who makes the decision, who is authorized and who is responsible for
> releasing (deleting) existing commiters (whatever reason)?

This is described here:
http://www.freebsd.org/internal/expire-bits.html

Good luck with your thesis,
 Simon