/dev/dsp inaccessible

epilogue at attcanada.ca epilogue at attcanada.ca
Mon Aug 18 10:44:47 PDT 2003

Hello Tiarnan,

Thanks for your input.  I had already turned off the PNPBIOS option.  I tried your
suggestion of recompiling with:

options         PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES

Judging by dmesg, it made no difference.  It also did not allow any of the
software to access /dev/dsp.  Same error messages as described in first post.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have also tried troubleshooting this by
adding snd_maestro_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf.  This made no difference either.
I have since commented it out.

This is a frustrating problem.  The card is in a laptop, so it won't likely be easy to change.
If I cannot get this sorted out, I may have to consider moving to an OS which will
support the card.  After all the time I put into learning about FBSD and Unix, I would
really had to migrate away.

I am willing to jump through flaming hoops and walk over burning coals to
get /dev/dsp working.  If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again!

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
"Tiarnan O'Corrain" <ocorrain at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> try recompiling your kernel with
>
> options         PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES
>
> set. This sorted out my problems with that card.

turn off PNPBIOS, and make sure that your BIOS
is set to "non PNP operating system."