Removing default installed BIND

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 08:31:45 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 03:56:12PM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:51:01PM +0200, Jacob Vennervald Madsen wrote:
> > Is BIND9 not stable since BIND8 is the default?
>
> I seem to recall some discussion about why 8 is in the base system and not 9
> on this list some time ago.  As far as I remember, the default is still
> version 8 because it would take a great deal of work to switch to version 9
> - time which is better spent by those who can on other work.
>
> Version 9 is quite stable.  It includes various neat features that aren't
> available in 8, as well.  Go with it.  It works very well for me.

I second that.  As I remember though, Bind8 is still in the base
system because Bind9 is slower and uses more memory for serving up the
same amount of data.  For your average home or small business user,
the difference doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  However, if you're
running Bind in a situation where it gets a real workout, then Bind8
is probably going to be a better fit.

Plus Bind9 does contain a great deal of new code, and it's a matter of
judgement as to whether it's had enough time to thoroughly mature yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way