SAMBA 2.2.8a, FBSD 4.8 Release Win2K Remote Print Issues

RA Cohen roy2098 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 18:37:27 PDT 2003

Hello, list --

I trust this is the correct list for this post. I have been
wrestling literally for days with SAMBA/Win2K remote printing.
Here is the architecture:

qty 1- FBSD SAMBA Server PDC
qty 2- Network printers (an HP LJ2100 with Built-in net card,
and a Canon 6500 printer/copier also with built-in nic.
qty 50+ - Win2K Clients

SAMBA file sharing works great, and after much trial and error,
so does the printing but only to ONE printer -- the one
identified as 'lp'. I can successfully print from the FBSD box
to each remote printer in the printcap with:

lpr -Pprinter testfile.name .

This tells me the printcap is working as are my print queues.
But when trying to print from the Win2K clients, I only get
output to one of the printers (the one I define as lp). I think
what is happening is that the lp: definition in the printcap
defaults to /dev/lp which then goes to the aforementioned
printer...

Can someone please set me straight? I am about to lose my mind,
my wife, and probably some other important things in my life!

Here is my smb.conf:

# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
lp|mainoffhp2100|pcl3:\
    :rp=raw:\
    :rm=192.168.1.114:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/mainoffhp2100:\