/etc/daily.local : old and for backwards compatibility ? What is new way ?

Rob Lahaye lahaye at snu.ac.kr
Sat Aug 16 22:03:33 PDT 2003

Hi,

I want to run my own script in the periodic/daily procedure
(e.g. synchronize time with ntpdate and update ports with cvsup).

I had a look at /etc/periodic/daily/999.local, which says:

    # Run the old /etc/daily.local script.  This is really for backwards
    # compatibility more than anything else.

Using /etc/daily.local makes things indeed very easy and straight forward.
But since this is mainly for backwards compatibility, I wonder what is the
new way of doing what I want to do.
Appending my script to /etc/periodic/daily/999.local ?

Thanks,
Rob.