your mail

Technical Director trodat at ultratrends.com
Fri Aug 15 06:46:28 PDT 2003

J,

I had the same problem for a while and gave up on the floppies. I created
a bootable CD-ROM and booted from it through the SRM console. There are
bootable ISO's in the ALPHA/ directory on the ftp.freebsd.org (and
mirrors) server.

In the SRM I found out which drive was the CD-ROM and told the console to
boot from it. After the darkness and reboot of the SRM it booted and
loaded the cdrom fine.

I'm using 4.8-RELEASE on a Alpha 1000a on a EVA5. It's a little pokier
than I remember on Tru64 4.0F but I am much more comfortable with FreeBSD
and the lack of "License Paks" on this hardware.

R.

PS

If you know more power to you but:

1 - To see which drives were identified by the SRM console type:

>>> show config

The drives should have funky names like dka#.0.0.#000.0 and the likes and
a text string that 'may' identify the drive.

2 - Once you identify the drive you want to boot from type:

>>> boot dka#.0.0.#000.0

The screen will go black and you will re-post.

Hope this helps.