Server rebooted at 3 a.m. and 7 a.m. for the past few days

Magnus J magnus_os at yahoo.se
Thu Aug 14 01:34:48 PDT 2003

Hello everyone

I'm not sure if I should have posted this to freebsd-security,
but I start here.

I'm out traveling, and finally got a chance to login to my
server back home through SSH, which is running 4.8 and is
protected by an IPFILTER firewall.

Looking at /var/log/messages , the server has been mysteriously
rebooted around 3 a.m. and 7 a.m. CET every day for the past few
days. I have never seen this before.
It doesn't look like hardware problem because it's not random
and there are no messages about filesystems not being unmounted
cleanly.

Any ideas where I should start looking to see what's going on?
Obviously I will try to monitor what's happening next time
around 3 a.m. and 7 a.m., which processes are running, etc., but
is there something special I should look out for?

Unfortunately, I have not installed Tripwire.

Best regards
Magnus          (not a member of this list)

Yahoo! Mail - Gratis: 6 MB lagringsutrymme, spamfilter och virusscan. Se mer på http://se.mail.yahoo.com