I have bad sectors.....

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Aug 13 13:26:21 PDT 2003

If a modern hard drive begins to show bad sectors it generally indicates
it is in its final death throws and it is better to just replace it and
not try to make it limp along.

Most modern drives reserve 'spare' sectors that are automatically
used to replace bad sectors.   You don't start seeing bad sector
messages until those spare sectors are used up.   So, that implies
there there are already even more bad sectors on the drive than it
is telling you about.

So, don't try to be penny wise only to be dollar foolish.
Get as much of your date as possible on some backup media
and throw away the bad drive and get a nice big new one.

Good luck,

////jerry