UK keyboard and missing £ character

Darren darren at dazdaz.org
Wed Aug 13 05:22:57 PDT 2003

I can't use the £ (pound) character under FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE, i've
tried with console and remotely logging in.

I have my keymap set to the uk.cp850, here are some of my rc.conf options

keymap="uk.cp850"
keychange="YES"
font8x8="YES"
keyrate="250.34"
allscreens_flags=""     # Set this vidcontrol mode for all virtual screens
allscreens_kbdflags=""  # Set this kbdcontrol mode for all virtual screens

Somebody suggested that this could be due to a font issue? Any idea how to resolve it?

Would I need to load the cp850 font too? If so why can't I load this, I receive this
error and would this actually fix the problem?

When booting up, it says ....

font8x8vidcontrol: YES: can't load font file: No such file or directory

$ sudo loadfont -f /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp850-8x8.fnt -i
loadfont: ioctl VGAGETSCREEN failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

--
Thank you,
 Darren                          mailto:darren at dazdaz.org