resolv.conf/named

Mark Woodson mwoodson at sricrm.com
Tue Aug 12 16:34:05 PDT 2003

I'm in the process of setting up named+dhcpd to provide internal+external name
resolution (I understand that's not an ideal setup, but it's not going to
provide external name resolution).  I've got named working resolving fqdn's
fine.  What it's not doing is resolving host's without the dn.

#dig ns

returns the root nameservers

#dig ns.internal.sricrm.com

returns the correct answer

The man page suggests that adding domain to resolv.conf means that you can use
just the host name and leave off the domain

# /etc/resolv.conf
domain internal.sricrm.com
nameserver 10.1.2.2

I've also tried using search instead of domain and I get the same result (the
root servers list).

What am I missing?

-Mark