Tradeshow Crowd Pullers

Claire Q'vant clair3_q at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 15:53:30 PDT 2003

We're going to have a booth at a trade show in a few
months, and we'd like to have a few machines running
FreeBSD for people to play with.

But, as a crowd puller, it'd be nice to have a
graphical bootup sequence.

I know it's not the 'done thing' for a server OS, but
for a workstation OS, it's a very nice touch.

Does anyone know of any code to do it?
Any projects already started?

I'm aware it'll have to be a kernel module, as it's
the only thing running at that stage.

I don't know if VGL and VESA will do it - it handles
the 'splash' modules ok, but this module would require
sysctl's to tell the module to display the next icon,
e.g.
Starting Network (greyed out icon)
Network Started ok (Coloured icon)
Network Start Failed (Coloured with cross through it)

Has anyone seen anything like this?
Is anyone keen?

Claire