Network interfaces

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at Vitsch.net
Mon Aug 11 16:41:11 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 00:34, Tkachenko, Artem N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Inspiron 5100 and I install FreeBSD 4.8 on it. The computer has an
> integrated NIC. After installation and typing ifconfig I see the there was
> no network interfaces detected. Typing /stand/sysinstall and checking the
> network interfaces configuration I see the fallowing:
>
> faith0 	<unknown network interface type>
> sl0	SLIP interface on device /dev/cuaa0 (COM1)
> ppp0 	PPP interface on device /dev/cuaa0 (COM1)
I don't have an inspiron to test this, but I found the following link with
Google :
http://jturner.tapetrade.net/docs/installing_freebsd_on_inspirion5100.html

Basically the page says your laptop has a broadcom 4400 NIC which can be used
through an unsupported driver. Hope this helps...

grtz,
Daan