Samba Printing

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 14:25:14 PDT 2003

David Lodeiro wrote:
> A couple of days ago I set up my printer on my FreeBSD server and set it up so
> I could print from my FreeBSD client. This all works very well, printing from
> botht the server and the FBSD client. However, I also have samba set up for
> file serving with my dads XP box. I have been trying for quite some time now
> to set samba up to enable me to print from the XP client. My situation at the
> moment is that the XP client can detect the printer in explorer, I can set up
> a printer to print to it without any errors, however when I go to print a
> test page, nothing happens. No errors, no printout.
>
> I started the smbd and nmbd demons with debugger set to 10 to see if I could
> find something out
>
> Firstly , this is the relevent part of my printcap
>
> Canoni850|bjc800;r=600x600;q=photo;c=full;p=a4;m=auto:\
>     :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
>     :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/Canoni850:\
>     :lf=/var/spool/lpd/Canoni850/log:\
>     :af=/var/spool/lpd/Canoni850/acct:\
>     :mx#0:\
>     :sh:
> I can print from FBSD using lpr -P Canoni850 filename
>
> here is the relvant section from smb.conf
> [global[
>    load printers = yes
>
>    use client driver = yes
>
>    show add printer wizard
>
> [printers]
>    comment = Canon i850
>    path = /var/spool/lpd/samba
>    browseable = yes
>    printable = yes
>    public = yes
>
> File sharing on with this smb.conf works without any problems
> my /var/spool/lpd directory contains the directories = Canoni850  lp  & samba
> all with r w x permisions and the sticky bit
>
> if I have path = /var/spool/lpd/Canoni850

<snip>
> And still nothing comes out of my printer , and nothing is present in my lpq
> on the server. Does anyone now what is going on in my log?
>
> sorry about the long post
>
> Thanks
>
> David

You have to remember that samba print shares need to accept raw Windows
print information. It should go in unfiltered. I did a google search and
found these links (search params were printcap samba raw):

www.freebsd.cz/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/ books/corp-net-guide/x905.html
dbforums.com/t854189.html

HTH