Help me on my freebsd machine

Joshua Oreman oremanj at get-linux.org
Mon Aug 11 09:28:17 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:59:22AM -0700 or thereabouts, amin wrote:
> HI

> I don't know is that true that they are saying that freebsd is a
> perfect machine for your network and acce ok I don't know how to
> start but I have been reading freebsd books for about 8 weeks but I
> have about tons of problems that I seems it was not a problem for
> any body else or maybe I am new I'm not able to see these things...
> I want to set up a gateway, with FTP access and mail and I have my
> own Static IP and domain so I want to set up a really complete
> server at my home.  but it seems that if I go like this it will take
> for ever and I still in my first place...  please help me what
> should I do where should I go What should I read

As someone already said, start with the Handbook. But really if you
want to learn, you can just try it and see how far you get :-) I did
this myself, actually, but on Linux. At one point, I had FTP, SSH,
SMTP, DNS, HTTP, POP, IMAP, HTTPS, MySQL, VNC, X, and Webmin servers
running. Needless to say, this was a *HUGE* security hole. But I learned
a lot! :-)

-- Josh