FreeBSD loader and Linux

Joshua Oreman oremanj at get-linux.org
Mon Aug 11 09:22:21 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:55:18AM -0400 or thereabouts, John McDonnell wrote:
> I am not an expert and am rather new to the FreeBSD world though I have had
> some previous expieriance with Linux. Did you install Lilo at all? I think
> that when you install Linux, you have to install a boot loader with it, in
> the Linux partition and not the MBR if you don't want to over-write your
> current boot loader. I may be mistaken, and I'm sure someone will correct
> me if I'm wrong.

No, that's correct. You must install either LILO or GRUB in your Linux partition.

(Side note: I have two hard drives -- ad0 has linux (from scratch) and ad2 has FBSD 5.0.
 I made ad2 dangerously-dedicated (silly me!) so neither GRUB nor LILO will work in ad0.
 So I had to make a boot floppy.)

> Also, this is my first post to the mailing list, so if there is a format or
> something that I'm supposed to follow, please let me know.

You're fine, but please quote the text you're replying to. Thanks!

-- Josh