Jails

Grant Peel grant at thenetnow.com
Sun Aug 10 08:44:08 PDT 2003

Hi all,

My questions are realating to a recent dev install I did with FreeBSD 5.1
The jail was setup on a fresh install, with no other ports or mods
installed.

Q1, If I do another completely fresh installation of 5.1 and then install a
bunch of ports, (Apache, Exim, named etc etc) when its time to build the
jail, will ALL of the things that were installed on the parent server be
automaticaly built for the jail?

Q2, When one installs new things to the main server, how do you add them to
the jail(s)?.

Q3, Are there any available patches that should be installed before any
jails are built?

Q4, If complete servers are built in a jail, and a jailed user is given
shell access VIA ssh, how secure is the jail? Can the jailed user 'break
out' to the main server?

TIA,

-Grant

Grant W. Peel