USB printer?

Daniel Nielsen djn at daimi.au.dk
Sun Aug 10 06:23:38 PDT 2003

Hi (again)

I recently bought a brother 5050 laser (postscript level 3). Connected it via
usb, configured cups to use it. And it worked like a charm. However, now I
discover that It doesnt work unless the printer is powered on (not in
standby) when the computer boots. If I power it on afterwards, the printer is
detected:

zits root # dmesg | grep ulpt
ulpt0: Brother HL-5050, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
zits root #

And when I turn off the printer also:
zits root # dmesg | grep ulpt
<snip>
ulpt0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 3) disconnected
ulpt0: detached
zits root #

But when I try to print, the job shows up on the cups webpage as processing.
And nothing happens!
I get a process:
zits root # ps aux | grep usb
<snip>
root   1033  0.0  0.2  2616 1168  ??  S     3:22PM   0:00.00 usb:/dev/ulpt0 24
Test Page 1 (usb)
zits root #

But it never finishes. What could I do to make it work proberly?
If the printer enters standby after boot, then it also doesn't print, with the
same symptoms.

/Daniel

--
There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced
by circumstances to meet.