Server Ident

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Fri Aug 8 14:50:49 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:03:14PM +0000, Dead Line wrote:
> Hello everybody
>

> I'm on FreeBSD 4.8-R.
> I installed pidentd package from /ports
> and i uncomment the line
>
> auth    stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/identd  identd -w
> -t120
>
> But seems its still not working, when i telnet to ip port 113 it doesnot
> accept.
You need to actually have an identd server located at
/usr/local/sbin/identd otherwise this won't work.

I'm using oidentd from the ports which works nicely.

cd /usr/ports/security/oidentd && make clean install

haven't installed it for a while so read the instructions carefully :)

oidentd runs as a standalone daemon so you don't need to worry about
setting it up via inetd.

FWIW my /etc/oidentd.conf looks like:

default {
	default {