Q: How can I modify net, X configurations in 4.8-Release?

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 13:48:17 PDT 2003

John Mills wrote:
> Freebies -
>
> I just installed a 'standard' 4.8-Release setup from CD. It seems to have
> gone fine, but I want to change two features:
>
> 1) I set up DHCP networking. Now I want to go back and explicitly set up
> static IP, GW, NS.

man ifconfig

> 2) I did not set up X11, and I would like to have another run at that.
> (This means I'm running console tools.)
>
> Can I use /stand/sysinstall to re-do these parts of my installation (and
> if so, how?), or are there other simple tools? Menu-driven or mouse-driven
> would be nice. Naturally I can always attack the configuration files, but
> I don't know how to turn DHCP off.

Yep, you can. Your best bet on this is to figure out which desktop
(gnome, kde, etc..) you want to use then go in to the area that says
install packages and select the desktop of choice. Then hopefully it
will fetch that and its dependancyies (x, xclient, xlibraries and so on
and so forth)

That should get you started.

Oh, how do you want to turn of DHCP? Was it because when you did the
install you said use DHCP? If so the response to Q-1 should get you
going. Or you can go in to /stand/sysinstall and reconfigure the network
interfaces and tel lit not to use DHCP then go ahead and assign IP
address and the like. After that is done all should, hopefully, work. Oh
do a man on rc.conf that will help too.