samba authentication problems

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Thu Aug 7 11:39:09 PDT 2003

Hello,

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 19:11, John DeStefano wrote:
> >Lewis Thompson <purple at lewiz.info> wrote:On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at
> >06:49:49AM -0700, John DeStefano wrote:
> >> AFAIK, I have not enabled ldap authentication. But how do I
> >> confirm?
> >
> >Well. If it's 2.2.8a then it's defined at compile time (i.e., you
> >specify you want it, or it autodetects if openldap is installed).
> Otoh,
> >if it's samba-devel (3.0.0b2) then you can modify the behaviour with
> >the passdb backend smb.conf setting.
> >
> I'm using 2.2.8a.  I've now done a 'make install' after 'make
> deinstall' twice, with the same results both times, so I can only
> assume the installation is autodetecting openldap, as you suspected
> above.

Not sure if you've not tried this already, but check
/usr/ports/net/samba/scripts dir to see the configure script that runs
on initial install.

The have a look at the "work" dir to see if LDAP functionality has been
set. If it is, then need to actually delete the work dir before
reinstalling. Otherwise you'd only be reusing the same configure options
that were originally used - which I presume is the problem.

Regards,

Stacey