ISPs blocking SMTP connections from dynamic IP address space

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Thu Aug 7 06:27:24 PDT 2003

Doug Poland wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This isn't so much a FreeBSD topic but a comment and a request for resources.  As a long
>time FreeBSD admin/user I know this is a large, diverse, and eloquent community of
>technical users.  I hope someone can point me to a resource or group of users that
>address this policy.
>
>Within the last two months both AOL and Time Warner Road Runner have implemented port 25
>blocks from hosts with IP addresses in the "dynamic address space".  Time Warner claims
>other major ISPs are/will be implementing the same policy.
>
>I support several smaller organizations computer infrastructures.  The server backbone
>in all these orgs is FreeBSD and they all have SMTP servers with IP addresses in the
>"dynamic" space.  More of our outgoing mail is starting to bounce as these ISPs bring
>these new policies online.
>
>Is anyone else uneasy with this trend?  Maybe it's just me and I don't like being
>discriminated against because I don't have the money to own static IP addresses.  One
>would think groups of responsible and technically competent users would be organizing
>against this trend and attempting to make their voice heard.
>
>A little help here?

Sorry, but I cant help you here, I fully agree with AOL and the big guys.
We have to take some serious action against spam, and it will piss a lot
of people off, but as they say: you cant make an omelett without
breaking some eggs.
I say block the dynamic address space, block everything that lacks
proper reverse dns, and blacklist ISP's that doesnt care enough to hunt
down and cut off the spammers among their users.
If you ask me spamming should be punished with huge fines, so huge the
people responsible for spamming could never again afford even a throw
away dialup account. Maybe a few years in a federal prison wouldnt hurt
either...or rather, I hope it would hurt...for them.